View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007, 04:33 AM

Default Re: Being told \"professional poker doesn\'t contribute to society.\"

Pete,

Where in this post do I say that I was in the ivy league, or that I would take any pride in it if I were? What is this chip on your shoulder? In life you have a choice: You can instantly attack any statement you hear, or you can try to understand and learn from your fellow human beings.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I've made this argument a lot and so maybe I skipped over a part. I thought it was clear that my paper is essentially a glorified poker concept. I actually wrote that line and deleted it in my last post. Therefore, (oops I have to be careful with you when I use the word "therefore") I think getting some of the poker concepts such as sample size, selection bias, the value of information, etc), out there is a good thing for academia as well as the mainstream. Therefore poker is helpful to academia and others.

Sorry if I was unclear. Also sorry that I am admittedly a little proud of my work right now and I shouldn't let my enthusiasm carry me away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Got some bad news for you, statistical concepts like sample size and selection bias predate the last 15-20 years that they have been used in poker. I am sure there are some poker concepts that should be introduced into academic work, but the examples you give just are not the ones.