View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007, 02:00 AM

Default Re: Cheating at AP, updated cliff notes

[ QUOTE ]
Slightly OT:
I read that AP owns UB, but does this mean UB could be compromised as well? The software is different, but how safe should UB players be feeling in light of this scandal? I have some money on UB, so I'm a bit concerned.

[/ QUOTE ]

AP owns UB, but UB is a skin of the Excapsa poker network, which used to be owned by UB. Excapsa was spun off into a separate company and taken public. After the UIGEA, public companies ran for the hills, so a private company (apparently the one that owns Bet21, which owns another Excapsa skin) bought Excapsa out. A number of people have said that that company is somehow connected to AP/UB, but it's not really clear (from what little I've seen in public sources) whether that's correct and what the relationship might be. It's all hearsay and anonymous sources and posts that reference other posts.

If AP doesn't own Excapsa, there's little chance that their ownership of UB would be a problem, since they wouldn't control the systems on which the network runs. Nor would they control the software.

If they do own Excapsa now, it *could* be a problem. But it's not clear when/if the people who appear to be involved broke ties with AP, so it's not clear if they were even still with the company when it acquired UB and (maybe) Excapsa. They may have never had any access at all to anything UB-related, even when they worked at AP.

This is all made more unclear by the fact that we don't really know how the cheating was done. Some people have speculated about "superuser" accounts created for security and/or debugging purposes, and the presence of 363 lends some credence to that theory.

So the short answer is "We don't know, and we won't until AP comes clean."

[EDIT: Any updates/corrections/further details on the AP/UB ownership situation would be appreciated]