View Single Post
Old 10-17-2007, 11:01 PM

Default Re: Ask DrewDevil your legal questions

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Drew,

I was on a callback at a NYC firm and a partner was bringing me to my next interview and we took the stairs, five flights up, in a suit. I asked him "So is this why they call it a sweatshop?" He just looked at me a little weird and half-laughed.

I haven't heard back yet. What are the odds this [censored] me?

Also, describe the optimum path out of law school to pay off debt, get well off (not rich, but not struggling), and be able to enjoy life a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

From my law school class, the guys who seem to be doing the best and enjoying their practice the most are the ones who didn't get a job, so they just hung out their shingle and started doing criminal defense, DWIs, and divorces, slowly building up a reputation.

In the middle: lawyers who worked at a firm for awhile, then went in house somewhere. Still boring, but 8-5, baby.

The ones who are most miserable are the ones at the top of their class who went to BigLaw and are now ground into hamburger, but they have the golden handcuffs and are scared to leave.

Me, myself, I am trying to figure out how to generate residual income and not work by the hour! God that's the worst. So I'd say use your legal knowledge to buy real estate, or start a business, or write a book, or something something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I disagree. I was at BigLaw for 16 years, made partner, then jumped ship to go in-house. I really liked BigLaw for about 14.5 of those years, and like my job now too. BigLaw, done correctly, teaches you some process and discipline lessons that are all too rare elsewhere. It's also a very useful connection source.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, it took you 16 years to make partner? I hope I'm reading that wrong. Regardless, from my experience as well, you're the exception.