View Single Post
Old 10-17-2007, 07:28 PM

Default Re: The illusion of agency/intent

Yeah, but you get into a problem when you realize that people can do things and afterwards have clear memories of intentions that weren't there. What people do will form belief.

'I hit the guy, he must have deserved it' happens just like 'The guy is a bastard, I should hit him', and you can show this mechanism in both observatory and controlled settings.

People will rationalize their actions and form beliefs consistent with them, and memory will even change to make them think they had this belief before the action took place (which can also be shown in both controlled and observatory settings).

An easy example is dressing randomly sampled people up in police uniforms, and they will quickly assume traits of behavior and opinion they associate with policeofficers compared to control groups.

This gives room for some interesting observations, for instance 'I am a member of this political movement, I should have its political views' can happen just like the opposite 'I have these political views, I should join a political movement that agrees with them'.