View Single Post
Old 10-17-2007, 05:24 PM

Default Re: The old notion of passing up marginal +ev spots in tournaments...

I thinks it's more important to recognize the marginal situations than it is to decide what to do there. If you start giving up AK pf if you think you are sure you are up against a pair then you might want to consider a little harder if villain could make whatever play he made with AQ, AJ or KQ.

Because folding AK thinking you don't want to face off against JJ when actually villain had AJ is a more monunmental error than deciding to flip a coin or not.

The same would apply to a hand like a pair with the nut flush draw on a (non-paired) flop. You very likely could have 14 outs which is close to a coin flip. You might have as few as 9 outs. However, if you are against an underpair or a straight draw or a lower flush draw, you are dominating.

My last point is related to how the coin flip scenario goes down. If I strongly feel I am in a coin flip, it is much better to have chips left and be the aggressor. That extra fold equity is everything and can turn a 50/50 into a potential 60/40 or 70/30 or better.