View Single Post
Old 10-17-2007, 05:15 PM

Default Re: calculus vs. linear algebra

I am taking multivariable calculus (calc 3) and "Elementary Matrix and Linear Algebra" this semester. The texts are: "Thomas' Calculus" 11ed and "Elementary Linear Algebra /w applications" 9ed by kolman/hill.

So far, I am enjoying calc 3 much more than the linear algebra class. The classroom material in linear algebra has seemed a bit more difficult(most likely because it is proof based, as wyman suggested above), though the assignments and tests have been easier.

The calc prof is much, much better than the prof for LA, which might be why I am enjoying that class more. The LA prof just spends each class doing one long proof that involves an arbitrary sized matrix with lots of variables and is not very interesting. Most of proofs involve things that make sense to me, but I wouldn't know how to prove. The assignments (tests too) in LA, however, don't involve any proofs. They just involve doing very basic things like calculating determinants or solving a system of equations.... things I was doing in first year high school math.

I find the calculus class much more engaging on a theoretical level. I could care less about the formal definition of a determinant, or how to use that to prove that switching two rows in a determinant switches its sign.

These two classes are the first I have taken since high school calculus. Lately, I have been considering adding a math major (along with econ). If anybody has advice on whether this would be a good fit for me or not based on what I wrote above, please let me know.