View Single Post
Old 10-17-2007, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Ask DrewDevil your legal questions

Hey Drew, a friend of mine has the following question:

"So I decided to sublet a room from my friend for the summer. The normal rate for the room is 650/mo but he offered it to me at a rate of 400/mo. I ended up living there for exactly 2.5 months. I definitely stated I wasn't going to live there for a full 3 months. I prepaid my first two and was planning to pay a pro-rated rate based on how long I live there during the 3rd month. So my friend calls me and tells me that he was off the lease exactly after the 2nd month and I am going to pay a different guy who was on the lease during that period. That guy wants me to pay 400 (for a full month even though I didn't live there the whole month.) - 55 dollar that the guy is going to "chip in", making it 345 for the half month. Half a month of the full rate is 325. So he wants me to pay more than half of the full rate of the rent. Also I have never talked to this guy, so I have never made a written or verbal contract agreeing to pay any certain amount for rent during the half month I lived there and he was on the lease. I don't think I should pay any more than 200 since I'm not even sure I'm liable for any rent.

Please tell me my best options."