View Single Post
Old 10-17-2007, 04:08 PM

Default Re: negotiations after home inspection... (buying a house)

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not willing to walk away from this deal if seller refuses to negotiate further.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats not too good. You're negotiating from a position of weakness. On the other hand, the seller might be feeling a little sqeeze w/ the markets being down. Depends a lot on your local market. Either way, you'd want the seller to be pretty convinced that you'll walk unless he makes concessions.

[ QUOTE ]
Only items of note from the home inspection...
1) Exterior Wood trim around some windows and kitchen skylight needs to be replaced due to minor rot in the joints.
will need to hire someone to do this and have no idea how much it might cost.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll have to either get a quote or ask the seller to fix the problem. You could handle it in a variety of ways:
a. determine the value of the repair and reduce purchase price accordingly
b. determine value of repair and allocate some of the purchase price to escrow for the repair
c. make the seller pay for the repair before closing

For choice A you'll have to come up w/ the cash for the repair out of your pocket. Note also that rot around window joints could be an indication of a poorly kept home, as keeping up the caulking is a pretty standard yearly maintenance item. Something to consider.

[ QUOTE ]

2) Washing machine needs repair
just spins, but doesn't jiggle the clothes down...I would have never caught this if the home inspector wasn't such a meticulous nit...but that's a good thing ;-) The washer/dryer are v. old and I just saw new cheapo set at Brandsmart for < $400.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd ignore it.

[ QUOTE ]

3) Steam fan in master bathroom vents right into the attic
needs to be extended through the roof...otherwise potential for mildew. I can take care of this with $40 and a trip to home depot.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll need to cut a hole for the pipe in the roof, no? I'd be careful - cutting holes in the roof might have negative consequences for your insurance policy unless handled by a professional. The steam is a real problem. Water is wood's worst enemy. This is a necessary repair. Get it fixed by a professional.

[ QUOTE ]

4) No smoke detector on second floor
smoke detectors can't be more than $30.

[/ QUOTE ]

Smoke detectors cost $4 each at Home Depot. I buy them in bulk. Nickel and dime, forget it.

[ QUOTE ]

5) Couple of reversed electrical outlets...
no worries...

[/ QUOTE ]

meh.