View Single Post
Old 03-16-2006, 01:51 PM

Default Help me choose a tattoo idea

This might end up being retarded, but it's a slow day for me so let's see how it goes. I'm in Costa Rica and tattooing here is really cheap. One of my friends here had a tattoo done in a shop in the mall here and the tattoo artist had skills. I've wanted a tattoo for a while, but am always indecisive of what to get. Now with the oppurtunity to get some skilled work done at 10% of the US cost, I am ready.

I'm not looking to start a discussion on the pros/cons of tattoos and the permanence/image etc. While all those points are valid, I have made up my mind on how I feel about tattoos so please don't hijack the thread.

The problem I'm having is coming up with a solid idea. I have a couple that I like, but I think I may be missing some better things. There is a girl here who has funny tattoos. I like this idea, having a tattoo that makes people laugh. I don't really want to get all serious and have to tell someone "Oh, this is my grandma's middle name who passed away" or something like that. For example, Johnny Knoxville has a portrait on his arm of Leon Sphinx after getting his teeth knocked out by Ali. I think that's rad.

So, I need your guys help. I will give you some information about things I like, and you guys come up with tattoo ideas. If I get a winning idea from this thread, I'll go get it and post a trip report. I'm thinking of the forearm or chest area. I'm open to other areas if your idea needs a specific spot. No dick tattoos though.

I like the look of lettering tattoos (Olde English, cursive, blackletter) so word ideas are good too.

Things about me:
My name is Shant.
I was born and raised and still live in Los Angeles.
I was born in 1980 so I grew up with a lot of the same toys/cartoons/video games as some of you if that helps.
I like hip hop culture.
I'm a designer by trade.

If you need more let me know. OK, ideas please. People who know me in real life feel free to chime in and call me retarded or add ideas. Thanks.