View Single Post
Old 10-17-2007, 06:54 AM

Default What is the ultimate goal in the \"Fight for Online Gaming\"?

By that, I mean what is the end result we are trying to accomplish with all our petitioning, lobbying, etc.? Is it to "legalize" online poker i.e. through regulation? I am not convinced that this would be the best option for us. If the government steps in to regulate, then most certainly there will be heavy taxation of online gaming which would ultimately hurt us in the form of much higher rakes, for example. Imagine no more sarcastic posts about "ZOMG, ONLY $.50 RAKE!!!!" I think if the UIGEA ever develops into what it was intended to be, by making it impossible for us to get money onto the sites, that would be about the worst situation for us. So that leads me to believe that our situation several months ago, before all the pullouts, was about as good as we could hope for. Internet poker still being 'underground' allows the sites to reap max profit, also allowing us the cheapest services possible, but also it was legal for US corporations to do business with these sites, allowing us easy and convienient methods of moving our money around. I guess what I am asking is what is our best option in the fight for online gaming? Should we really be pushing towards regulation or should we merely try to preserve the situation we had pre-UIGEA?