View Single Post
Old 10-17-2007, 12:21 AM

Default Re: Buying a first home: Las Vegas

[ QUOTE ]

I’m resuming my hunt with a real estate agent today and will post some more thoughts after I’ve seen some more properties. The real estate agent I’m using claims to be a buyer’s agent and seems nice and knowledge. I just randomly met him at an open house (the agent StephenNuts recommended was booked full today as I gave him very short notice) and he is chauffeuring me around today (my last day house hunting on this trip). If I decide not to use this agent in the future what do I owe him? Should I be upfront with him that I might change agents and offer to him hourly or something? Seems dickish to me to have him chauffer me around and end up going with another agent.

All comments appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 22 years old, and I've been a licensed Realtor [in Atlanta] since the summer after my senior year of high school. I'm currently taking my broker's course, and will probably be a licensed real estate broker by the end of the year.

There are SOOOOOO many incompetent, unprofessional, and outright LYING real estate agents in the industry it's mind-boggling. Consider that to get a real estate license here in Georgia, you need:

a) high school diploma
b) no felonies
c) $300 for an online 75 hour course
d) Two 100 question multiple choice tests which is just about entirely definitions...

And you're an AGENT!

And, like most fish in poker, most agents learn the wrong lessons from what little real-life experiences they have in buying/selling real estate... so they give all kinds of horrible advice.

Experience matters. Ask your agent how many homes he sold last year. And seriously consider calling back the guy that was booked full... a busy Realtor sells lots of homes... and knows what the hell he's doing.