View Single Post
Old 10-17-2007, 12:11 AM

Default Re: Now I know why god hates short stacks.....

Preflop is a bit on the frisky side, but can be OK depending on table conditions. Given two callers a raise with ATo seems unreasonable. If I REALLY want to get involved I might raise, but only if I know that I'm going to isolate against a donk who will either frequently fold to a c-bet or who will pay me off like a slot machine when I hit any pair.

The flop is awkward: you've got middle pair and no chance to improve and villain is short-stacked compared to the pot. The flush draw is annoying, but the K on the board gives you extra folding equity. I'd probably make a standard c-bet here (though my standard c-bet would be more like $4.50 -- stylistic differences, not a big deal). When he calls my c-bet I swear at the monitor, because that's not what I wanted to see.

When the turn bricks I either push or check depending on my table image. If I'm looking like a cold-blooded donk-killing nut-flopper, I'm pushing this turn and hoping he calls with his draw or folds to my "obvious" king. If I've been struggling and stealing unsuccessfully, I probably check behind with the intention of giving up on the river.

As played, the river is a VERY reluctant fold for me. That push is either a naked ace that got extremely lucky or it's a flush or straight that wants value. If villain's aggression were any higher than it is I'd call this a "reluctant call," but this guy is passive. Against an aggressive opponent you'd have to call in case your turn bet induced a bluff; against this passive dude you're allowed to trust him and dump the hand. This is doubly true given that the flush AND the straight made it on the river -- when BOTH of the obvious draws come on the river and a passive opponent wakes up and open-pushes, you can assume your two pair are garbage.

Again, swearing is allowed while you fold, because this is a heartbreaker.