View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Ask DrewDevil your legal questions

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If you really want to get some money out of these business, have someone kill you in the parking lot, then your estate can sue the bar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you spoke in jest, but exactly what legal theory would you plan on using here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Premises liability, see page 1 of this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I get the premises liability part, I just didn't understand how your little fact pattern, without more, imposed liability. I know it was in jest, but in an "ask your legal questions" thread we might as well be passing along accurate information.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, aren't we snippy? What is it you don't understand about how the doctrine of premises liability imposes liability? The classic premises liability case is someone getting mugged in the parking lot of a 7-11, and suing 7-11 for failure to warn/remedy an unsafe condition.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calm down, I wasn't being snippy (or meaning to be). I just think it's important to know that just because you are mugged in a parking lot doesn't mean there is liability. "Failure to warn/remedy an unsafe condition" requires a certain level of foreseeability, which probably varies a bit state to state.