View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007, 04:55 PM

Default Re: OFFICIAL NCAAF Rank\'em thread: October 14, 2007

[ QUOTE ]
Anything else is a bonus.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well almost anyone else would demand decent playcalling and adjustments to take advantage of opponents weaknesses. If the head coach is unwilling or unable to do this, the coordinators can't pick up all the slack even if they are good.

[ QUOTE ]
If his weakness (conservative schemes) is so easily fixable with a couple of new assistants, it seems like that's a much more practical solution than just throwing him out on his head.

[/ QUOTE ]
The thing is, by this point, Carr won't evolve no matter who is in his ear. We've gotten burned by the same crap for so long it's not even funny. Keeping him around could lead to a JoePa type situation (mired in mediocrity) and would actually hurt recruiting eventually if uncertainty persists, which, at his age and with his recent history, it would.

Given that next year a bunch of new guys will be all over the place, I would rather a new coach come in and start getting his scheme in place now instead of later. A coaching change is going to have to come eventually, so you'll have to deal with the danger and uncertainty of it sometime, and it just makes a lot of sense to do it after this year given what transpired and who is graduating.

FWIW, my opinion wouldn't change even if we won out and beat someone decent in a BCS game. I'd be glad Carr went out on a good note, but it's just time for him to go.