View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007, 04:03 PM

Default Super System vs. Poker after Dark

Texas Dolly is a frequent player on the show Poker after Dark. For anyone who has seen the show, would you agree Doyle tends to play quite differently then what he espouses in Super Systems? Whatever happened to “…whenever I take down a pot, I am in the next pot with ATCs” (I think I am paraphrasing here, but you get the jist). Or, “Aggressive poker is winning poker.” I’ve seen him get bullied out of many a pot where he was the clear favorite.

I mean no disrespect to one of the best poker player in the world. Furthermore, I understand there are some factors that are changed here. First, the show is a tournament, with a winner take all format, as opposed to a cash game. Second, it is a show, so the players are trying harder than usual to promote themselves, rather than simply playing cards. Third, the players are all pros. Lastly, there seems to be a lot of prop betting between the players, which might influence an early all-in decision even if you feel you are ahead.

I ask the question, because I try to follow an aggressive style, but it makes you wonder when the teacher seems to not follow his own teachings.

Thoughts?