View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007, 09:55 AM

Default Re: Starting out online

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would play 2-5 table SnG's at the lowest possible buy-in. Cash games are a good way to lose your small bankroll in a very short time and STT need a specific strategy to cash in them consistently. Look at it this way: If you play a .01/.02 cash game and buy-in for $2, you might spend around $10 in only an hour. 45 player SnG last 1.5-2 hours and cost only $1.20 or $1.25 - much more value for the money imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

.2/.5 - I did great. Then I moved down a step after reading about BR management
.1/.2 - Lost a ton of $$ (crazy ass players that I didn't know what to do with)

Then I moved to $3.40 single-table SnGs... and have been winning consistently for 3 months. It's because I have a strategy that helps me place in the money.

I look forward to the day when my BR is big enough that I can lose a lot of $$ learning cash games better...

[/ QUOTE ]

So what you're saying is you suck at poker and you can only win at donkaments?

SNGs are not real poker. Yes you can learn to beat them, but that has jack **** to do with how good a poker player you are. If you want to be a good POKER PLAYER, not a SNG DONK, you have to play the NL (or limit if you so choose) cash games.

Anybody that says otherwise is a tourney donk who doesn't know how to play real poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

I don't play tourneys often (and when I do it is usually higher buy-in big multi-tables), but SNGs are "real" poker. It is poker that requires a different calculus and skill set from ring games, but it is poker nonetheless. If you learn to be a good SNG player you will have an opportunity to make good money playing poker: There are lots of people that make a good living multi-tabling SNGs. Will you be a good cash game player? Not necessarily. Poker skills don't translate seamlessly from one game to the next: A expert stud player might be a dog in NLHE; Lots of decent NLHE players suck at PLO; Good NLHE players often suck at limit poker.

Lucky