View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007, 01:36 AM

Default Re: \"The Prestige\" wtf? (spoilers)

[ QUOTE ]

The entire movie is about deception and misdirection in the service of performing illusions that look as if they are magical. In no way has the rest of the movie set this up as a reality where real magic actually takes place. (If a movie does this, then of course all bets are off, as long as it feels consistent with the rest of the film. This movie doesn't.) In this light, you really don't think that's a huge cheat if the only explanation is "yep, there's magic. Bet you didn't see THAT one coming?" Or, if that is an acceptable solution, why isn't it an acceptable solution in other movies? Most heist/escape movies would suck if the heroes could, say, just unexplainedly walk through walls.

[/ QUOTE ]
I completely see what you're saying, and I don't think it's unreasonable. I guess on one hand, there's your point of view which means there is something left for me to figure out. On the other hand, there's the point of view I've outlined, which wraps it all up nicely. I'm takin' the easy way out. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]