View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007, 01:17 AM

Default Re: ALCS - Indians vs Red Sox

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Beef, I'm still waiting for an argument from you in favor of Carmona having the best stuff since Pedro lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Name me one pitcher since Pedro who has a pitch that moves that much that consistantly. I will help you out since I have come up with one and only one....Kevin Brown. Trust me, I know my baseball. I have been watching this guy all season long and he is nothing short of absolutely filthy, much like Pedro was back in his day.

[/ QUOTE ]

So are you saying he has the best stuff or the best 1 pitch that moves the most? What pitch of Pedro's? He had 4 above average to WELL above average pitches. I dont wanna rehash this again, considering in previous posts I mentioned a number of guys that have a better arsenal than Carmona. Even with that being said, Mo Rivera's cutter has definitely withstood the test of time, and in his prime I would take that over Carmona's sinker anyday.

Maybe i'm starting to understand it a bit differently. Are you saying that considering all the different pitchers since Pedro, and all their top pitches, Carmona's sinking fastball is the best? Is that what you're saying? If you are I still say there's no chance. Or are you comparing it to other fastballs? Other sinkers? What ARE you trying to say?

[/ QUOTE ]

He is as unhittable when he has control of his stuff as anyone since Pedro in his hey day (relief pitching is a whole different animal from throwing 6-7 innings every time you tow the rubber....mariano, troy percival, krod are all pretty nasty, but until they do it for the long haul, i don't count them in that list.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgive me if I don't put a lot of stock in it when you use the qualifier "when he controls his stuff". Tons of guys are nearly unhittable when they control their stuff. He is one of many guys with that kind of electricity in his pitches. One of many, not the "best since".