View Single Post
Old 10-15-2007, 10:01 PM

Default Re: Yet another Gore smear

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, I have no idea whether and to what extent Gore has taken money from tobacco companies. I'm guessing that big tobacco is like most other industries and spreads around money to candidates on both sides of the aisle. I'm also guessing that Gore, like the other candidates, is not in the habit of sending back sizable checks that he receives. While I disagree with many of the things that tobacco companies have done in the past, I hardly find it somehow inherently sleazy for him to accept campaign contributions from them.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, why did you feel the need to start a new thread to respond to a post in another Gore thread. You could just answer in that thread.

I am really amazed anyone would actually defend Gore on this issue. Four years after his sister died, he gave a speech bragging about his family long history of growing tobacco, the product that killed his sister. Quoting Gore in that 1988 speech to tobacco farmers, he said: "all of my life, I hoed it, chopped it, shredded it, put it in the barn and stripped it and sold it.”

Remember, this is the product that killed his sister four years earlier. The event that he said turned him against tobacco. Does that quote sound like someone who has turned against tobacco because of the death of his sister?

Why can't you just admit that Gore was a total d-bag on this issue? He used the memory of his sister's death for emotional purposes, but the facts did not support his claims. He clearly did not become an anti-tobacco pol until years after his sister's death.