View Single Post
Old 10-15-2007, 05:48 PM

Default Overheating Video Cards

I'm running an amd 3200+, nvidia 6600gt, 2gb ram pc that's a little over two years old now (recently put in an extra gb of ram). Generally use it for school related stuff, the internet, and gaming.

I just bought TF2 and it seems my vid card is dying. After a minute or two of gameplay, I'm getting tons of artifacts all over my screen like this (only happening very rapidly):

I downlaoded a few utility programs and monitored my temperature whlie I was out of game and in game. Just idling or browsing my GPU was around 65 degrees celsuis, and when I got into any 3D game I was running (once it caught up to speed) between 100 and 105 degrees. The last thing I want to do is fry my card.

I'm trying to figure out why it's running this high. It is a 128mb card after all, but should it really be going this nuts? Could it be a problem with my heatsink? I think I'll get a can of compressed air and flush out any dust that might be clogging the fans or anything, but I really don't expect that to help much.