Thread: flop check
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2007, 04:54 PM

Default Re: flop check

i'm rushing so i'm not super-sold on these but at a first glance here:

“But how far do would you take it?”

It’s not often that I do anything all of the time when I play poker. That said there is probably some frequency I could arbitrarily assign based on my usual playing style.

If I feel like a free card is something that benefits me, I prefer to take it on the turn since it’s the more expensive street. If I think the free card is something that I will give to my opponent(to let them catch up or induce action later) I give it on the flop ‘cause it’s a small street.

I’ve also ignored whether the Ahigh hands are suited/unsuited and if I have any sort of backdoor frush draws.

assuming he only calls pf:

holding AK on a Q86r: usually check

AK on a Q86 2-tone: usually check

holding AT on a J57r: usually check

AT on a J57 2-tone: usually bet

holding 44 on a K73r: usually check

44 on a K73 2 tone: usually check

holding 22 on a Q56r: meh. Both but bet more often.

22 on a Q56 2-tone: meh. Both pretty evenly.

With weak hands against a very aggressive opponent, underplaying hands(even 22 or Ahigh) can lead to a profitable call down due to the high bluffing frequency. Certain boards can increase this bluffing frequency and as such should result in even more liberal calldowns. Larger pots can increase the profitability of a call down as well, since you are getting a better price that an aggressive villain is bluffing. Of course, as always the above are subject to the “it depends”rule. In other words, if I’ve been checking a lot of flops I need to balance, if I’ve been betting a lot of flops I need to balance, etc.