Thread: Scared of death
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 11:31 PM

Default Re: Scared of death

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so hollow from a personal point of view though. There can be nothing worse to me then just simply ceasing to exist. Those billions of years before I was born weren't inconveniencing to me, they just didn't exist to me. I don't like the idea of not existing after either.

However, I've come to accept the fact that the universe is WAY too complex for humans at this point in our existence to understand. For example, I read a good book about how physicists now believe that we live in a 10 dimensional universe. We have evidence that they exist, but humans just don't have the capacity to understand/visual what those dimensions look like. The fact that we live our lives throughout time may be a peculiarity to our species. Time may be something much more complicated and so our perceived linear birth-life-death may not be all that we think it is. So I hold hope that existence/consciousness isn't over at death, and if it is... well damn.