View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 10:13 PM

Default Re: OT: [censored] thread, OCTOBER, READ RULES IN TOP POST

Ok, well I've only been here for 4 years as a student but I have seen a bunch of [censored] up stuff. I guess I am biased because I come from a relatively prosperous neighbourhood in Toronto with low crime rates and little violence. Most of the bar fights my friends have gotten into have not been initiated by them and have almost always been with townies here. Clearly you want to defend your hometown and I don't blame you. You have to admit though that there are a lot of problems here (especially social). There's a used needle deposit box in the Tim Horton's across from the church where kids shoot up on princess. Youth and people under 30 seem needlessly aggressive and crime north of princess is a problem. I guess the area I observe the most and are in contact with is downtown so I see polarized examples that shouldn't be applied to all of kingston.

I didn't mean to offend you devin. I am sure that people are successful here and live meaningful lives. All I was trying to say is that there are a lot of misguided people here who seem needlessly aggressive and have caused a lot of my friends grief/pain.

Feel free to make a lot of insulting comments about Toronto b/c I realize how [censored] up it is there too and will unlikely disagree with you.

I also realize how many of these problems are social problems that should be remedied by the Ontario/federal gov't but have yet to be corrected. Crime is likely high and people's dreams go unfulfilled largely b/c cost of living is expensive and unreasonable and our social welfare system isn't adequate. If it's any conciliation, I voted NDP a few days ago in the provincial election (they lost unfortunately). Call me ignorant, I don't really care that much. My views are biased. I'm sure it's b/c I live downtown and see potentially the worst of the town. I shouldn't have generalized in the first place. Sorry.