View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 09:35 PM

Default Re: Legality and Withdrawl

[ QUOTE ]
The reporting of foreign accounts does not apply to every conceivable account, just "financial accounts." Does that include poker site accounts? A poker site is hardly a "financial" entity. But who knows how far the IRS will take their interpretations, though they have yet to state explicitly that money in offshore gaming company accounts are foreign financial accounts.

D$D is right about the rule applying when the sum of all your "financial" accounts is over 10K. So if you had, say, 5k in Neteller and 6K in the Bank of Costa Rica, you most likely have to file this form.

Skallagrim

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate telling the IRS anything, but if I had a total of $10 or more on offshore accounts I'd file the form. If you read the underlying statute and recent IRS actions, it is clear at least the IRS considers money even in a poker site account as a financial account.

But you are damned if you do and damned if you don't, as is always the case with the IRS. If you don't file you break this rule, if you do file they will want to know where the $10k came from, then next year if there is any change in the account values they will want to know why.

D$D