View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 11:39 AM

Default Re: 500NL LIVE: KK UTG+1

I think there is a semantic misconception about SPR's and honestly I'm not sure the book authors are helping clear it up much.

The real point of optimum SPR for top-pair/overpair hands isn't to set up a situation where you blindly stack off no matter what (which is what people on this forum seem to read 'make commitment decisions easier' as meaning) but rather to set up a situation where someone with a weaker made hand will stack off to YOU because you made a decision for them NOT commit very difficult.

In the hand example, the point of the reraise is to get opponents to call with hands that would flop a weaker made hand, with a pot size that makes it hard for them to get away postflop. 'Juicing' the pot with the small re-raise creates a tough situation on the flop for MP1 and or Button if they would call/call and raise/call with AQ,KQ,QJ, or even QT because they have to either fold TPGK to the flop bet from KK or play for stacks- since a call of the flop bet essentially pot commits them.

I think Pokerb0y is correct that you're giving the button very good implied odds to continue with low pocket pairs- so the overall evaluation depends ENTIRELY on MP1's and Buttons range here. Does the greater potential for a weaker made hand stacking off to you with your pot manipulation outweigh the risk of a letting pp's in with odds that make setmining profitable?

IF MP1 would limp/call a small reraise and the button would raise/call the small reraise with a range like: any PP, any suited broadway, AJo+, KJo+, QJo+, 98s+ AND MP1 and the button would fold preflop to a larger raise with most of the range that would make a weaker hand than KK on the flop AND the game is such that MP1 and/or the button cannot lay down top pair on the flop THEN the play in the example is more profitable than a bigger reraise preflop.

I think the above If/And/Then statement is probably true for 500NL live- but absolutely false for most internet games of NL100 or above without a stellar read.

Overall the idea is to take the risk of giving good implied odds to setmine in order to set up a pot-size/stack size situation where a TPGK hand will stackoff to an overpair. Obviously table dynamics are important, and the raising/calling ranges are critical for the play in the example to be more profitable than just open-raising normally.