View Single Post
Old 10-13-2007, 08:19 AM

Default Re: Ask Me About Being a Police Officer

[ QUOTE ]
Do you interact much with the prosecutors who end up handling your cases? If so, what's your biggest annoyance with them? Does it make a big difference to you whether your cases result in a successful prosecution?

[/ QUOTE ]

I only ever really deal with the district attorney who handles the cases that go to the County Judge. Anything that is a misdemeanor or more is usually handled by him, or summary appeals. He's a great guy, very nice, and he's a friend of my dad.

The only annoyance, I don't even know if you'd call it an annoyance, but just the fact that it's politically biased. Often times he'll try to get plea agreements by dropping some charges just so that he'll get a guilty out of it and make his numbers look better. It doesn't even really bother me, but that is always one thing that stuck out to me.

I don't really care if my arrests are successfully entered as guilty. I try to do my job well and so I try not to screw up anything or arrest anyone unless I am certain beyond a reasonable doubt that the person I am arresting is guilty already. I have in the past arrested a kid and then went to court and said it was possible it wasn't him. It was a long story about chasing some 4-wheelers. He was found not guilty. I've also gone to court hearings and the victim asked the charges to be dropped, so when we went into the courtroom, I told the judge that the victim requested the charges to be dropped. My record is probably like 6-2 (2 = one not guilty, one dropped at hearing).