View Single Post
Old 10-13-2007, 12:02 AM

Default Re: Who is the worst coach ever?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Freakin' Handley.

[/ QUOTE ]

Handley was the object of one of my favorite spontaneous stadium chants ever. The "Ray Must Go" chant had become standard at the Meadowlands throughout most of the 92 season (they lost their home games to the Cowboys, Redskins, and Eagles), and the media had a ball covering it, and everyone pretty much knew he was gone at the end of the season.

The last game of the year was at the Vet, and the Giants lost in typical lackluster fashion. The Eagles fans, having secured the game and the season sweep by the 4th quarter, starting chanting "Ray Must Stay, Ray Must Stay." It was pretty funny at the time.

But yeah, tough luck that he was sandwiched between two HOF'ers. The big thing was Hostetler over Simms. And the defense going from 26th to 1st after Reeves took over is pretty damaging. But I agree, tough to evaluate accurately.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool - somebody on this forum is as old as me!
I didn't realize that Giants team was 1st in defense.

That last game vs. Dallas really pissed me off. IIRC, LT sorta came back from the dead & got a couple sacks, the crowd was going nuts, Hampton looked like he was wearing down the Cowboys D towards the end, John Madden making his standard "these Giants fans are the best" comment...it just felt like they had the game. I thought the Bills could've taken it home that year if Dallas had to go the wildcard route.