View Single Post
Old 10-12-2007, 05:55 PM

Default Re: 2 pair and nut flush draw faces a raise on straightenig board

Raise more preflop. After Button calls and with me OOP, I'm raising to about $0.15 or so -- if he wants to play, he's got to pay. Alternatively, you can just limp preflop and play it for a monster hit. (That's probably not a good choice for normal players, but it's how I would have done it. What can I say -- I'm weird in the SB.)

Bet more on the flop. You're barely putting in 1/2 the pot; at these stakes, you'll need to bet damn near the full pot to have any respect for your c-bets. As played I'd make it $0.15 to $0.20 on the flop -- if he wants to keep going, he's got to pay the price.

On the turn you again make a flimsy bet. You've got two pair but the board is quite scary with two flush draws and some potential straight fears. I'd probably throw in $0.35 or $0.40 as my turn bet in this situation -- I'm OOP and I don't want villain getting a cheap look at the river. As played, I'm just going to three-bet all-in. If villain has some sneaky hand I've still got my flush and boat outs to a winner; otherwise, I'm ahead. I think I'm ahead of villain's calling range often enough for it to be +EV to push. It also avoids an awkward river decision where I could make a huge FTOP mistake. Instead, I'd rather have VILLAIN make the mistakes on the turn.