View Single Post
Old 10-12-2007, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Emotional Affairs

You're losing me here, and attributing to me things I did not say. I didn't say people behave identically. I've been saying the opposite. I say people make choices, and that they are responsible for them. Choices are individual, not a matter of genetics.

Regarding excuses, and whether you would rather they be thought of as explanations, the main thrust is not what words we become attached when characterizing this particular discussion, but whether anyone would or should care which ones we use. Practically speaking, we all face temptation. What matters in the end, after we have done something for which the idea of thinking about an excuse even arises, is, did we act on it. I don't think there's anything unique to the situation of the guy who succumbs to temptation versus the guy who does not, except character. It's not like the only guy who doesn't succumb is the one who never faces temptation! Facing temptation is not the issue; it's what you do about it.

Nobody particularly cares about our hormones, either, and we probably shouldn't ask them to. They formed a relationship with us knowing in advance that we had them. Likely, they wouldn't have done so if they suspected we might play the hormone card if we stepped out of line.

You were responding to a post talking about cheating by referring to emotions getting the better of you. I think that's a miserable excuse for cheating, and that you are painting the cheater as a sort of hapless victim himself. I think that's a cop-out. I doubt many people would appreciate that sort of explanation from their partner, or give it much credit. And that seems right to me.

I'm not sure what else you're on about, but if disagreeing with a post I make is enough to make you lose all respect for me, I expect it was not only inevitable that it happen anyway sooner or later, or that the respect was never there to begin with. Which is okay too; it's just an internet forum. And this is just one thread and a few posts we're talking about. I don't think it's worth getting worked up about to that level, but if you do, so be it. My respect for you hasn't changed yet, but you can dislike or disrespect me all you like.