View Single Post
Old 10-12-2007, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Prop bet - 5 minute mile

[ QUOTE ]
I hadn't run regularly in almost 4 years. I was a smoker on and during most of that time and have recently quit. About a month and a half ago I started running again. I run 2 or more miles at a time almost every day, but I can do those in 12 min is all I know because of the treadmill I started on. I have never run a timed single mile.

When I was in my peak shape, which was nearly 6 years ago, I could run two miles with full pads and a helmet on in under 12 minutes. For most of the season, I was probably capable of running two miles w/o pads on around 11:15, occasionally being faster, and being way slower in the beginning of the season. I would guess I could run a 5:45 mile right now, and that I could run a 515 at some point within a 7 month period. I honestly don't know how hard it will be to cut 45 seconds, but swingdoc made it sound like it would be really hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Treadmill isn't the same as running outside. Sounds like you're not too far removed from some pretty good running times. But shaving 45 seconds (which is 13% of a 5:45 mile, which you think you can do) isn't going to be that simple.

Maybe train at altitude and run at sea level (hopefully without heat & humidity that you wouldn't be used to in CO) for the bet.