View Single Post
Old 10-12-2007, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Most over-rated poker book of all time?

SuperSystem has never been overrated, just the time has been doing its thing, though not that I think the NL thing is good but using it at that time and putting the loose ends away, it's better than one deserves.

I didn't all that much like the Malmuth's book for advanced players but it definitely has a preflop strategy that holds its place at the time it was written, and the discussion of how to play hands like middle pairs when e.g. the first to act in multiway pots, is good too, and so that book had its place during that time, though there's much more to say about that and should not be followed in today's games until one thinks so, and also the startegies are not correct anymore for the tighter preflop games, e.g the the case when one has a two pair and the turn becomes a possible flush (3 on the board) is usually a case for a bet rather than give a free card, and then a lot material in that book is not really something you are interested about and much of it is like the Sklansky book of theory of nl poker that has little to do with the poker one plays but is just for theoretical interest. The Malmuth's shorthanded/hup chapter is mostly worthless and the loose game chapter might in cases fit to some superloose games, but is generally not how one should play (it again gives some Sklansky theory views that have little to do with how one should play in real life situations) and as those two came later, I rate them the worst parts of the book. And today that book should be taken out of the markets but is of course not done because of the money.

The later the book, maybe more so a 2+2 book, the better it is, as things evolve, except for the Sklansky theory views (no that I don't rate his limit theory book on category one, though it mainly formulates basic things but those were not so known by then - though much was known by his first limit holdem book - and it's a more exact presentation, though maybe not to every taste).