View Single Post
Old 10-12-2007, 02:42 AM

Default Re: Emotional Affairs

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So if your girlfriend did this, you would not find her blameworthy, nor worry that it could happen again, and maybe worse? Since she basically exercised no volition anyway and therefore was not disloyal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Essentially correct. It doesn't mean that I can suppress the natural feelings that occur when a partner cheats. But, I rationally know that it happens, that it happens often, and that the person often has little say in the matter. I am also not an innocent boy so there are no stones for me to throw.

[/ QUOTE ]

imo this is a cop out and just a method for people to dodge the responsibility of their actions. just b/c "it happens" doesn't mean it has to or even should. people cannot realistically expect to suppress their emotions in all situations, but that doesn't make it ok to become enslaved by them. if someone gets caught up in a wave of passion they still make a decision, it's just not a rational one. possessing even a modicum of restraint allows the rational thought process to kick in, if only for a moment, and that moment is enough to stop if you want to stop. obv there are some scenarios where restraint goes out the window, but more often than not people just don't exhibit a strong enough will. saying they got trapped/tricked by their emotions doesn't necessarily make it ok.

edit: also, i think the adage that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones is ridiculous.