View Single Post
Old 10-11-2007, 10:24 PM

Default Re: The Myth of Meaning

Very interesting point. I can speak on this as someone who very recently dived headlong into religion, then did a very abrupt 160-180. (Nevermind how or why, because it would take too long to explain...suffice it to say that I went from "atheist" to "true believer", and back again to "atheist/agnostic" in short order.)

My direct experience of this question falls along this line:

Yeah, it's nice/great to be loved. But when one believes that he/she is loved by an all-powerful, perfect, all-knowing being - indeed creator - it's a more profound experience. Somewhere along the lines of "Hey, nothing can hurt me badly at all, because the ultimate power's got my back." You feel as though nothing can touch you in any profoundly negative way, and you also feel "special" or "chosen" (my experience), and this in turn adds some idea of responsibility and purpose that would otherwise be absent.

Btw, I'm thinking right now after having gone through these recent transitions that it sounds really great in theory, but alas is very likely no more than wishful thinking and a whole lot of self-centered silliness. (unless, that is, God really exists and is going to send me to hell for posting this, in which case I can only say "hey...didn't see you there...just kidding!!")

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]