View Single Post
Old 10-11-2007, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Ask me about China - a Chinese-born Foreigner\'s Impression

[ QUOTE ]
China seems to have a smeared image. I imagine a lot of it is exaggerated. But the problems stem from the shear size and number of people.

Is it possible to fix the country's problems without exerting extremity?

How do you think the government is doing right now? Do you believe that the people will eventually find their own freedoms without intervention?

I am led to understand that economically, the problem stems from a mix of communism and capitalism. Do you believe that Communism is going away?

What do you mean, exactly, when you say that Mao had good intentions?

That's all for now, but I have plenty more questions.

Olympics 2008: Are you going?

[/ QUOTE ]

With regards to China's current leadership it's interesting to note that despite the fact Hu is in President many of the key positions are still held by Jiang Zemin's appointees. The National Congress which is coming up soon is seen as somewhat of a turning point in Hu's Presidential career as the key positions will now be "his" people. And the following five years will reflect most strongly on how his term is judged.

Hu himself was was a party secretary out in the Tibet, so on the one hand has a very real concern and understanding of the inequalities between the richer coastal provinces and central and western China. However part of his rise to power was also as a result of his hardline approach to uprisings, most notably in 89' when monks in Tibet were beaten to death much like in Burma.

I think, though maybe just hope, that Hu and the current Chinese political culture is one of openness and honesty at the highest levels, however I believe corruption at the provincial, city and town levels of government is seriously underestimated and a national approach to small scale corruption is what the Chinese desperately need.

The CPC will not let communism die, Hu especially has seen that throwing open the doors like Jiang did actually has some very devestating consequences, I expect China's social welfare to be an important goal in the next 5-10yrs.

Mao was good because he unified a country that was historically not particularly stable. There's more to write on him, but my brain isn't good at remembering facts and I'd have to go and dig around old books to make a case. I don't think anyone can say that the great leap forward wasn't a horrible misguided failure, but the man and the vision was at the beginning inspiring.

I hope this answers some questions and honestly I don't know much I just have a superficial understanding of some very complicated ideas.