View Single Post
Old 10-11-2007, 08:09 PM

Default Re: Does selfishness ever bother you?

Actually giving is very fun and often more rewarding than taking. For instance, I don't give a damn about Christmas, except for the giving part really, and then mainly to kids. I'm awestruck by how good it can feel to give a kid a christmas present and see his frenzied delight unwrapping it, and maybe even liking it(kids are nothing if not honest). Makes me feel like a million bucks and just seeing that happiness is worth so much more to me than the money and time and effort I put into buying the present.

Also, cooking is cosmic or something in how it can seem to feel so good and welcoming and loving when you're on the receiving end of it, but also how great it can make you feel doing it for others, too. I mean not every meal and every audience, so to speak. But still, it just feels great to do for people that way. If they like it, you feel like a million bucks.

Or if you have older parents and you come over to help them out with some physical chores around the house or something. Sure you may have no fun, but it feels good that they don't have to do that kind of thing, at least not every time. Payback, of the good kind, feels pretty damn good.