View Single Post
Old 10-11-2007, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Poker winnings on resume

I haven't read the rest of this thread, but I can tell you what my grad school advisor told me about taking last summer off to play poker. He said that its not really the fact that you like to play poker or gamble and did it for a living one summer because you were good enough to support yourself; a lot of recruiters will find that fact very interesting (esp. if they like to play themselves), and they'll realize that it takes good analytical skills to make money at poker. The problem is that they'll say to themselves "Well, if this guy makes so much money playing poker, then why would he want to come work a 40 hour job for us?" So from his point of view, the company wants to know that you are committed to working full time for the rest of your life, and if you take time off to play poker instead of getting experience in an internship, they may see it as not being ready to accept a full-time job.

Not sure if that's really the case or not, but regardless, I left my poker career off my resume and focused on other stuff; theres really no reason to leave it on your resume at all IMO.