View Single Post
Old 10-11-2007, 04:13 PM

Default Re: First B&M Visit -- Advice?

[ QUOTE ]
in other news, people say 1$ is standard but that is because they are lying or don't notice the truth. only nits tip a buck when they felt someone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wanted to point out difference in attitudes with this anecdote:

When I was playing 3/6, I was always concerned if I was tipping enough. I made a rule for myself 20-100 = $1, 100+= $2. I felt like I was being a cheap skate because others were tipping $3 and $4 on any pot.

Feeling good about my play and my hot hot heater, I took a shot at 9/18. A typical pot in this game is over 100 if the table is pretty good. I was doing good that day and tipping one dollar per pot. I scooped a relatively small pot and not thinking about it, flicked a red ($3) across the line, forgetting to dig through the pile of chips to grab a blue ($1). It was a total accident, to be sure. For a beat, the world stopped. Everyone at the table paused and stared at my generous tip. The dealer paused, not accepting the chip at first, looking as if to say: "Are you sure?"

I stiffened, looking at my "huge" mistake, but I couldn't possibly tease this dealer, so I waved my hand and let him have it.

Then he asked: "Are you sure?" He took the chip and thanked me "very much."

I find it funny, that as you move up in stakes, the pots get bigger and bigger, but the tip stays the same. In fact, the small stakers are more hard-up about "tipping good" than the high stakers.

Sit at a 500 NL game and tip 5 yellows ($5), every one will fall back in their seat and practically pass out.

The moral of the story is that you can always tell how high a person plays by the amount that they suggest for tipping.