View Single Post
Old 10-11-2007, 03:01 PM

Default Re: how to find some 1 who will spot you?

Regarding the original topic, I don't like the idea of backing in practice, though I fully understand the theory.

I have been backed at times for tournaments on the upper range of my bankroll. (I was playing them anyway, and friends offered unsolicited backing for nominal pieces). I will take backing in the future, but only from friends and generally will do them as swaps. I also will only take them for events I could (and would) play with my own money and for small pieces where the 'fun' factor is more important than the money.

Large scale backing just sucks, especially if there isn't many repetitions. Tournaments even the best players are expected to not cash.

And to those who would consider backing under the terms I've described, I do still advise caution. It is not fun to tell your friends why they owe you money (I bluffed all my money against a donkey who got lucky, etc), repeatedly ask them for said money, etc. It will also creep into your thoughts at inopportune times late - at least initially.

And any player who goes broke by making poor decisions gambling should never EVER be backed. This goes from anyone who tilts and plays higher than they should to people with a craps itch to people who just plain suck at poker.