View Single Post
Old 10-11-2007, 03:21 AM

Default Re: EDF MUSICIANS THREAD (Guitar/Piano/Singers/etc...)

Hey- great idea for a thread. I've been a musician since i was about 2, my dad bought me one of those 4-stringed battery powered "electric guitar" sets and would have me "perform" Frank Sinatra tunes for his clients when they would visit for dinner. Went through the forced piano lessons, same as you, for around 7 years. Got to RCM grade 5 and level 2 theory, but I was a bit of a rogue in the sense that I hated learning classical, and wanted to play pop and jazz tunes instead. My instructor kindly suggested to my parents that I find another instructor, which I never did. I still play daily.

Took a year off after high school to tour around with my band, had some marginal regional success releasing an album and selling merch, etc, but that ended when I went to college.

Currently play guitar in a band, we're back to gigging, it's going great. There is nothing like playing loud, hard rock on a stage for a crowd. No feeling like it.

I also have a protools rig in my basement with which I constantly record.

The one tip I have for anybody wishing to progress on their respective instruments is that you must PERFORM LIVE as soon as you possibly can, and as often as you can.

BTW surfin- what kind of LP you rockin? What year? Hand me down LPs rule. My uncle's got a 69 black beauty, with the original soapbar in there and everything- surreal sound. Got me a Studio about 3 years ago and absolutely love it.