View Single Post
Old 10-11-2007, 12:07 AM

Default Re: Emotional Affairs

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

People can get very attached and emotional over an "internet affair." It's because it's not real that's the problem. They create a "perfect" relationship by never having it intrude on real life. Surely you've heard of couples breaking up over ones attachment to someone over the internet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dominic,

You are wise. Yes people can get very nutty over internet relationships. Weird yah? Think about it, they don't know the other person, they may not even know what the person looks like, well unless there's a web cam or the flirty pics, (not that I'd do that mind you, I'm just saying [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) and yet they fall head over heels. Those of us who hang around on a forum long enough witness it. It's insane I tell ya!

I knew this one guy who was hopelessly in love and he kept wanting to get my take on this internet girl who he had fallen in love with. He kept analyzing and deconstructing every little thing she said (and he wanted me to analyze what she said) including the amount of time it took her to reply and why she was logged off for so many hours in a day, etc. It was nuts.

I guess it speaks to the loneliness and romance in some of us that we are willing to go overboard on some anonymous person who we've never met, who we envision as probably way cooler than they really are. But in the end, isn't it mostly a fantasy in our own head and not a real relationship?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it's a fantasy. That's why long-distance relationships are not a good idea, either...the couple get together every month for a long weekend, say, and they have a wonderful time and are so in love...well of course they are! They never gets an opportunity to be together on a day to day basis, dealing with all the crap that life has to offer. Instead, they only have their little vacations together and get to think the other person is perfect.