View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 11:48 PM

Default Re: where does a-rod play next season?

[ QUOTE ]

It isn't a horrible deal if you sign him to a playoff team like the Cubs or the Angels though, or even a team like the Giants who will be viable with their young pitching for the next 6 yrs of A-Rods prime.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I think the Angels are the front runners if he opts out. He can win immediately there, they can afford him without dumping other players. The cubs simply have their hands tied, otherwise they'd be the other top bidder. But either way he won't opt out.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm a Yankees fan so obv I want him to stay, but there is no doubt that the bidding will get insane and that is why Cashmen made his lil warning to Boras about hitting the open market.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm wrong, look at what Soriano got at a similar age. But I think you are underestimating the risks of signing him to a long term deal at age 32. I don't think the front offices are blind to his injury risk and risk of decline. It does no good for him to opt out and only get a 5 year deal. He doesn't want to be a 37 year old free agent. He needs a 7 year deal or more to lock down that salary for the long run. Boras would be taking a huge risk opting out if any reasonable extension was on the table from the Yankees.