View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 11:22 PM

Default Re: where does a-rod play next season?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why wouldn't you list the Dodgers? I think they are much more likely than most of those teams..there is absolutely 0 chance the Braves are interested. The Angels generally don't spend that much and have already said they don't want to pay anyone more than they pay Vlad. The Giants are trying to rebuild. Obviously the most likely is the Yankees..but I think the Dodgers could be a possibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not going to a rebuilding or losing team. I've said this before, and the proof is when he offered to give back $30M to get out of Texas. He was miserable despite the money, and he's not going to make that mistake again. This opt out/extension isn't about going to the highest bidder, it's about locking down a top salary for as long as possible so he doesn't have to be a free agent at age 35 when his value is likely substantially diminished due to injurys and age. But it will have to be with a team that is likely to be in the playoffs every year.

So no chance for the Dodgers. The Dodger's front office is suspect and their owner is a skinflint who interferes too much with the team. They aren't just a bad team, they are a fourth place National League team, the little league of major league baseball. Even if the Dodgers offered a 10 year $300M deal, he's smart enough to know it would be a direct repeat of the Texas situation, when 30% of the payroll is directed to one player the rest of the team will suffer. He is not willing to go through that again.

And all MLB owners/GMs know what a horrible deal A-Rods contract was for Texas, even though he was never injured and his performance was spectacular. They aren't going to fall all over themselves putting together long term offers so they can pay him a top salary during his decline years.

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't a horrible deal if you sign him to a playoff team like the Cubs or the Angels though, or even a team like the Giants who will be viable with their young pitching for the next 6 yrs of A-Rods prime.

There will def be at least 3 teams (Angels, Giants, Cubs) not counting the Yankees who would pay 30 million a year for AROD imo.

I'm a Yankees fan so obv I want him to stay, but there is no doubt that the bidding will get insane and that is why Cashmen made his lil warning to Boras about hitting the open market.

A-Rod going to the Rangers changed noting for that team, him going to the Angels, Cubs, or Giants would make those organizations incredibly viable for the next 8 years, especially when you consider how big breaking the home run record will be if/when he does it. People were so-so about Bonds, and it wasn't really the story people thought it would be, but if A-Rod (a player considered to be clean) breaks it, it will be a huggeeeeeee deal.