View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 11:15 PM

Default Re: where does a-rod play next season?

[ QUOTE ]
Why wouldn't you list the Dodgers? I think they are much more likely than most of those teams..there is absolutely 0 chance the Braves are interested. The Angels generally don't spend that much and have already said they don't want to pay anyone more than they pay Vlad. The Giants are trying to rebuild. Obviously the most likely is the Yankees..but I think the Dodgers could be a possibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not going to a rebuilding or losing team. I've said this before, and the proof is when he offered to give back $30M to get out of Texas. He was miserable despite the money, and he's not going to make that mistake again. This opt out/extension isn't about going to the highest bidder, it's about locking down a top salary for as long as possible so he doesn't have to be a free agent at age 35 when his value is likely substantially diminished due to injurys and age. But it will have to be with a team that is likely to be in the playoffs every year.

So no chance for the Dodgers. The Dodger's front office is suspect and their owner is a skinflint who interferes too much with the team. They aren't just a bad team, they are a fourth place National League team, the little league of major league baseball. Even if the Dodgers offered a 10 year $300M deal, he's smart enough to know it would be a direct repeat of the Texas situation, when 30% of the payroll is directed to one player the rest of the team will suffer. He is not willing to go through that again.

And all MLB owners/GMs know what a horrible deal A-Rods contract was for Texas, even though he was never injured and his performance was spectacular. They aren't going to fall all over themselves putting together long term offers so they can pay him a top salary during his decline years.