View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Why don\'t you watch boxing?

I know what fight you are talking about. Jermaine Taylor vs. Kelly Pavlik. I think it really epitomizes how mma is taking over boxing. Kelly Pavlik is really unknown by me. I have a sporadic following with boxing, and I have no idea who Kelly Pavlik is. I guess he knocked out some people. Who knows?

Whereas in the mma realm, I know who the top five people are in a weight class. The top fighters face the top people continually. And how do I know this? Because I actually get to see them fight. Boxing, who knows when I will be able to see #3, #4, #5 fight? Hell, might take years before #1 faces anyone inside the top 20.

MMA, #1 fights #2. Always. There is a continual battle to see who #2 is too. You get to see the people come up. Its all shown on the same card.

So largely, it can be down to promotion. Boxing has down a horrific job promoting events. Largely due to the multitude of 3-4 letter orginizations that put out phony rankings. This guy is ranked #3 in WBO and #15 in IBF. WBO says #1 must fight this guy or we strip him of the belt, but IBF says you must fight this guy or we strip you. So there are 4-5 "champs" all at the same time. Ring magazine has helped this to some extent over the past couple of years, but not anywhere near the level that one organization (UFC) putting on all the fights could compare to.

Another problem as to why boxing is failing is that people like action. They like the KO. Naturally, heavyweight is the casual fans favorite division. That division is in a complete freefall to say the least in boxing.

MMA, really anything can happen at any moment. One slippage at any moment in positioning, you are either KOed, taken down, or submitted. Instantly. Much more exciting to watch than a technically sound boxing match.