View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 10:25 PM

Default Re: The Myth of Meaning

[ QUOTE ]
Theists have that, but also have the ability to work within god's plan and be a part of something bigger than them - to have their lives viewed as important by someone (ie God) who defines that overarching, cosmically significant meaning.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried to address that by stating versions of - Finding out you are a galley slave in the largest ship captained by the most powerful king in history does not add meaning to your life, it's de-meaning.

That he loves you and will even save the odd red-headed girl in the school bus crash is merely his plan, his goals. Sure, you can agree to keep pulling on the oars at his direction but that seems like a pretty weird version of 'meaning'. It also dodges the issue completely.

People can get meaning out of a love for sausages, so we can't say god adds meaning by what we actually add by buying into his plot. That meaning then came from us ( as all meaning does) not from his.

A theist has to tell me HOW god imbues me with meaning by the mere fact that he loves me and has a major plot in mind with me in it. NOT by my reaction it ( else it's coming from me, as usual).

thanks for trying but no cigar, luckyme