View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 10:03 PM

Default Re: First B&M Visit -- Advice?

I never understood the idea of "standard raise," Even if people are raising 10x bb, I still raise 3 or 4. Do whatever. If you have been playing poker for a while and are good at it, you should be able to adjust.

Tipping the dealer is standard at $1 a pot. You may see people at 1/2 tipping like half the pot. Don't worry about it to fit in. Some gambler may look down their nose at you, but whatever. If you are at a table with such hard heads, you probably want to go to a different table, because these guys will fold if you are in the pot.

I always announce the number of my raise, it is pretty funny when I announce the amount when I am playing limit. If you choose to do this quietly, then you should stack your bet behind the line and put ALL of it across in one shove, otherwise it is a string bet. If someone bets $20 in front of you and you throw out a $100 chip silently, then you have called. You must say raise for it to bind.

But I want to touch on this:

Poker is a social game. You will be surrounded by people bludgeoning each other and having a jolly conversation at the same time. There (should be) hot waitresses walking around, etc.

Please leave your Ipod at home. I hate the internet kids who sit and stare at us like we are a bunch of morons with their "chat box" off. This behavior is bad for the game, and worse for you, because you want action, and no one will give action to a mole. And while I don't soft-play anyone, I am more willing to let a bet go from someone who is talkative and gambling it up than someone like this. I want this person away from the game as soon as possible, and every one else does as well, which means that every one will be playing the mole harder.