View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 09:59 PM

Default Re: Learning java with no programming language experience, where to st

[ QUOTE ]
God I hate Scheme. I can't believe someone else has even heard of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

if heard of it. it was part of my "coding 101" at university. and you are right on. it sucks hard. stay away if you can.

@op
there are already many good points made in this thread. but to give you a fitting advice on "apps that assist you in your everyday work" it would help to clarify what you expect from that exactly.

if you want to learn a coding language i'd suggest: don't start with any oreilly-books. don't get me wrong, they are great. but they are not aimed for starters. read a "java in 21 days"-book or do a "java for dummies" online course. and then switch to the "real" books. it saves you from unnecessary worries because you then know the basics the intermediate books take for granted.

phyton is a good starting point and a pretty neat and slick language that can help you out on many things. and if you just want to have a helping hand in your office, it is probably better suited as java.

and elance is a good option if you are only interested in getting a useful app, but do not really want to learn how to code.

if you are not really interested in learning how to programm an app, i'd say it is better to outsource the coding and get someone to write you some scripts that do the job. learning to code is not extremly difficult. but it sure is cumbersome and time consumptive.