View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Ask Me About Being a Police Officer

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
do you like telling people what to do?
what percent of police officers would you say are addicted to power?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't like telling people what to do, in most cases. I never try to throw down my authority on anyone. We have a skatepark in our jurisdiction that says at the front gate that they must wear helmets. We catch them all the time and have to tell them to put helmets on. They are starting to get the impression that we are harassing them, but I don't stop if I catch them doing spins and whatnot without a helmet on. I really don't like doing it because it's great that they are off the streets, but at the same time, rules are rules.

[/ QUOTE ]
isn't this a choice issue? I mean, there isn't any law (that i know of) that says you have to wear a helmet on a skateboard.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's more or so like a borough ordinance. It's an insurance issue. For the right to have the skate park, they had to agree to wear a helmet. That is how the sign came to be. At first, they didn't have a rule. Alot of old-timers started complaining and so the borough council made it a rule with a representative of the skate park present.

It's just like curfew. There is no law that states a person under 18 years of age has to be home at a certain time, but borough ordinances say they do.

A few months ago, one of the skate park boys got mouthy with one of the officer's for not wearing a helmet. The officer gave him a warning, and eventually kicked him out for a week. The violation of going back would have been defiant trespass. We contacted the borough manager first about what we could do.