View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 06:00 PM

Default Re: 12/180 : AJs in CO faces BB all-in

[ QUOTE ]
This may be flawed thinking and probably even moreso at these small stakes turbo games, but I raised it to 1000 to discourage action from the blinds and just pick up a cheap, uncontested pot. I find that if I raise to 800, I'm getting hands like KTo, J9s+,all pairs, etc. to come along (and that they probably fold to the 1000 raise). I know my hand is way ahead of these and that a cb will likely take down the pot on the flop but I would still rather end the hand pf, not necessarily out of fear of flopping but more for simplicity's sake.

I like the advice about only being concerned with the BB's stack, though and I had not considered it at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Before u act in this (or any other hand) u should be thinking about what u would like to accomplish by betting. With a hand as strong as AJs from LP, u should be trying to get value from worse hands. If u raise to 800 and everyone folds this is fine, but making it 1000 and wanting worse hands to fold is wasting the value of this holding.

Theorhetically, when u increase the size of your raise, u narrow the range of potential callers (this is not necessarily true if players are loose/bad.) Therefore, the key to sizing raises is to bet the max amt that worse hands will call with.

Get into the habit of raising less, when u make it 800 from LP and everyone folds, show when u have AK;TT-AA. As Lev said, playing against hands that u dominate in position is very profitable/EV+.