Thread: theory question
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 04:42 PM

Default Re: theory question

Acevader,

I'm not saying I think it's likely, I'm saying you still have to acknowledge there's a risk to your preflop equity if you take the call line.

POF,

[ QUOTE ]
I think to get the most money out of this situation you would really have the know the psychological make up of villain. For example, maybe a min-reraise would induce an all-in bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but again I don't want him to all-in bluff. He still has a reasonable amount of showdown equity which limits my EV - which is less than the EV I think you could reasonably expect taking a flop.

If the flop doesn't improve him and he c-bets even half the pot, shoving on him will force a fold. The pot will be larger than the EV you would have had getting him all in preflop. If he checks it and the board is safe you could then do your min raise or check behind to induce an AI bluff or turn raise depending on the player and read, etc.

You just need to get more than 2k EV in the hand to make it more profitable than an AI showdown, which you're probably not getting him to go for in the first place.

As far as modifying based on reads, there's not much I'd do differently preflop. The only real exception I can think of would be if

1) I knew this player wouldn't put any more money in unless he hit AND

2) he couldn't fold a flopped 3 or 4 or hand where he's ahead or is otherwise correct to call

In this case a tight-weak calling station inadvertently wouldn't be giving me the implied odds I need to give me more value than the showdown (or probably even get shoving PF)